Re: GNU-Mach for a new OS server

From: Leonardo Pereira
Subject: Re: GNU-Mach for a new OS server
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 12:31:18 -0300

2006/3/18, Ravishankar S <ravishankar.s@hathway.com>:
Hello GNU-Mach developers,

Im interested in using the GNU-Mach microkernel to write a NT type OS server. I have some questions in this regard:

1) What is the difference between GNU Mach and CMU Mach 3.0 ?

GNU Mach is based on Mach 4, that is an evolution of Mach 3.

2) From what I have read there is some amount of code in the CMU Mach 3.0 which is written explicitly to support the BSD server (that is to support a UNIX type of server). Is this true of GNUMach also ?

I didn't understood your question very well, but, if you are talking about run a single server that will create a POSIX layer over mach, It is possible on GNU Mach. We do it, on Hurd, in a multi-server scheme, but, if you really want, you can do it with a single server scheme.

Thanks and Best Regards
Ravishankar S