building gcc : no acceptable cc found in $PATH

From: Linux Alchemist
Subject: building gcc : no acceptable cc found in $PATH
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 11:30:51 +0000

hi all

I installed GNU/HURD via debian-gnu-hurd-current.tar.gz. It has its own partition that I can boot into from GRUB.

i am installing gcc-4.1.0. I unzipped in /usr/src/ and made a seperate directory ./gcc-build to store source code in.

#cd /usr/src/gcc-build
#./configure

...some other checking
checking for gcc: no
checking for cc: no
configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH

how am i to get round this. I know gcc is not installed, otherwise I would not be installing it. Also, i know what the PATH is but what is configure asking for?

Please server up some advise.

Regards Jon