Re: passive translator timeout

From: Yaakov
Subject: Re: passive translator timeout
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 18:04:28 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@kemisten.nu> wrote:

>    it will continue running until the Hurd is rebooted, and then the
>    Hurd will forget its existence.
>
> It will continue to run till the day you kill it, be it with
> `settrans
> -ag', figureing out which pid it has and using `kill' or killing the
> system.
>
>    I don't want an active translator,
>
> Unless you don't want to access the cdrom, you do.
>
>    i actually want a translator that is "more passive" than what is
>    currently defined as passive.
>
> A passive translator is meta-data in the file-system, you can't be
> more passive then that.  It only becomes active when you access the
> node in some way.
>
>    >    is there an easy way to allow me to eject a cdrom when not in
>    >    use and retain the passive translator?
>    >
>    > settrans -ag /cdrom
>
>    The option -g only works when setting a passive translator to
>    replace an active translator.  the point of those options is what
>    do you do with the active translator that is still running.
>
> No, -ag kills the active translator.  You wanted to be able to eject
> the cdrom and retain the passive translator, `settrans -ag /cdrom'
> does that.

it still requires me to type something in to eject the cd drive, and i
now officially declare the reference manual too confusing.  i guess i'm
still used to the windoze habit of being able to eject a cd drive
through the hardware (which i consider a feature...) just the logical
conclusion to me is to make the active translator unload itself after
say 250ms