Re: passive translator timeout

From: Yaakov
Subject: Re: passive translator timeout
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 17:50:29 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@kemisten.nu> wrote:
>    Is there a way to set a translator to "time-out" or unload itself
>    when not in use?  For example, I have the following translator:
>    settrans /cdrom /hurd/iso9660fs /dev/hd2 it won't start up until i
>    do cd /cdrom
>
> Because you made /cdrom a passive translator (settrans sets a passive
> translator on the node by default), they don't start until you access
> them.  Pass the -a flag to settrans if you want to have a active
> translator from the start.

an active translator just means an instance of /hurd/iso9660fs starts
running the second i hit enter so there is no delay when /cdrom is
accessed.  it will continue running until the Hurd is rebooted, and
then the Hurd will forget its existence.  I don't want an active
translator, i actually want a translator that is "more passive" than
what is currently defined as passive.

> As for time-outs, don't remeber how you set them.  It is probobly
> possible...
>
>    is there an easy way to allow me to eject a cdrom when not in use
>    and retain the passive translator?
>
> settrans -ag /cdrom

The option -g only works when setting a passive translator to replace
an active translator.  the point of those options is what do you do
with the active translator that is still running.

--yaakov