passive translator timeout

From: Yaakov
Subject: passive translator timeout
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 16:45:27 -0700 (PDT)

Is there a way to set a translator to "time-out" or unload itself when
not in use?  For example, I have the following translator:
settrans /cdrom /hurd/iso9660fs /dev/hd2
it won't start up until i do cd /cdrom (and even cd /cdrom/debian which
is nice compared to how /other/ OSes won't mount a network share to see
if a directory exists until i give it an explicit directive), but even
when i then cd out, i can't eject the CD without entering:
settrans /cdrom -g
is there an easy way to allow me to eject a cdrom when not in use and
retain the passive translator?