Re: GNU/HURD

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: GNU/HURD
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 23:02:43 +0200

[please don't post HTML messages in the future, they are nothing but a
annoyance]

   I saw in one place that the GNU/MACH could handle > 10gig file
   partitioon.

No, it can handle >10Gb _disks_.  And the name of GNU Mach is... GNU
Mach. ;)

   However on the Debian site I see

     Hurd Partitions

     The GNU/Hurd does not support partition sizes greater than about
     2 Gb.

Correct.

   However, several partitions can be created during the installation
   process. The Hurd also uses extensions to the ext2 file system, the
   call is "mke2fs -o hurd /dev/*". The installation CDs use this when
   creating Hurd partitions.

   Which is what I was used too from times past. Can you clarify this
   please ?

Hopefully somethings were clafified, but I am sure what you wanted to
have clarified with the "mke2fs -o hurd /dev/FOO" issue.

   Hello to all GNU/HURD developers. I have been out of the loop for a
   long time since my move between the UK -> Norway and back to
   Houston. I now will get to start messing about with the HURD again.

Hurray!  Though the Hurd is spelt as "the Hurd", see FAQ[0] for
details.

[0]: http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/faq.en.html#q1-2