Re: If QNX is successful, why NOT GNU Microkernels

From: Olivier Galibert
Subject: Re: If QNX is successful, why NOT GNU Microkernels
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 19:28:10 +0100

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 04:30:12PM +0100, Niels Möller wrote:
> The point of the Hurd is make file systems (as well as some other
> things that traditionally live in kernel land) fun and *easy* for
> ordinary users to run, install and hack.

But then, you have projects like http://lufs.sourceforge.net/ which
seem to give you the equivalent under Linux.  It seems to me the main
reason why something like that isn't standard in Linux or BSD kernels
is the lack of a decent security model for them.

What are these other things, apart from the passive translators[1]?

  OG.

[1] Very nice, but also lacking a working security model.