Re: Mach unable to boot (?)

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: Mach unable to boot (?)
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 03:06:15 +0000

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 09:39:40PM -0500, asubedi wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> This is my first try to install Hurd. Anyways, this afternoon I grabbed the
> ``gnu-latest.tar.gz'' from alpha.gnu.org and burnt it in a cdrom. I created a

Where did you get the GNU tarball from? contrib/marcus/attic ?

The tarball in that directory is obsolete and has a number of known serious
installation problems.

Our recommended method of installing GNU is by using crosshurd. If for some
reason you can't use crosshurd (ie, no debian system and uncapable of
setting up a chroot jail), there's a still-deprecated-but-not-so-old
tarball in contrib/robertmh. I don't recommend using it though.

--
Robert Millan