Re: Grep --directories option

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Grep --directories option
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 21:04:26 +0200

On Sat, May 31, 2003 at 02:06:50AM +0200, Patrick Strasser wrote:
> If I understand diretory semantics in the Hurd right, the directory is meant
> as directory only with a trailing slash, and as file if only called with
> the name without slash.

Not really, although you can force glibc to lookup only directories by appending
a slash, and a slash at the end of a filename certainly means that you want
a directory.

The best way to understand it is to think about objects and interfaces.
There is a file interface, and there is a directory interface.  Any object
implementing the file interface is called a "file".  Any object that
implements the directory interface is called a "directory".
Some objects might implement the file interface, but also the directory
interface.  These objects are called "directories" or "files", depending on
your context.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de