Re: Hurd inside VirtualPC

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: Hurd inside VirtualPC
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 18:54:37 +0200

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 06:14:17PM +0200, O. Matt wrote:
> On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 04:34:59PM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
> >
> > I suggest you better try with Bochs [1], it is free [2] software and we
> > have more experience running GNU in it.
> Yes, I know that I should use free software like Bochs.

I'm not recalling a dogma. You should only prefer using free software if you
think (like i do) this is moraly a good thing to do.

> But Bochs is
> really slow (even v2), and especially under a Mac, which is as know
> based on another architecture.
>
> Do you have performance notes about mac/bochs/hurd ?

Bochs always emulates a full CPU regardless of the host architecture, so
running it on Mac (PowerPC) doesn't have more cost other than the computing
power difference of that box.

I suggest you try the latest CVS (if you use Debian, there's a recent one Sid),
which is probably a bit faster. you might also want to rebuild Bochs with
CPU optimisations.

--
Robert Millan

make: *** No rule to make target `war'.  Stop.

Another world is possible - Just say no to genocide