Re: Development donations

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Development donations
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 13:07:46 +0200

   Hiring someone isn't practical.  The person would have to learn the
   code before they can modify it, this takes a while and the fee
   would run into the thousands.

You could always hire someone who is familiar with the code.

   One day while reading about gnupg I found some company that
   accepted donations.  Along side the donations there were boxes you
   could tick for what you'd like their developers to work on, three
   of the options were gnupg related but the other was the Hurd.

Well, the difference is that a company (including alot of volunteers,
but the main developers work for G10) is working on GnuPG.  The Hurd
like most GNU projects is volunteer project; so it would be quite hard
to dontane a small sum to a specific goal.

I would suggest that if you can donate anything that you should send
it to the FSF, this way if they get enough donation they might be able
to hire someone to work full time on the Hurd (or any other GNU
project).