Re: Gentoo GNU/Hurd

From: Jon Portnoy
Subject: Re: Gentoo GNU/Hurd
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 20:23:21 -0500

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 02:11:15AM +0100, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 07:38:02PM -0500, Jon Portnoy wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 01:23:39AM +0100, Robert Millan wrote:
> > > GNU/Hurd was the term used for referring to GNU to avoid confusion with
> > > its variant GNU/Linux, since they say "Gentoo Linux" in first place i
> > > don't see what they mean to distinguish GNU from..
> > >

> > I decided that "Gentoo Hurd" isn't as aesthetically pleasing as "Gentoo
> > GNU/Hurd" is. <G>
>
> well, "Gentoo GNU" might or might not be aesthetically pleasing, but it
> makes more sense to avoid redundancy when there is not a "Gentoo GNU/Linux"
> to contrast with.
>
> see http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/faq.en.html#q1-2

Yeah, I was. Actually, I refer to Gentoo as Gentoo
GNU/Linux regardless of what's on the website (because I feel
GNU/Linux is the right thing to say). I find that Gentoo GNU/Hurd makes
it clear that it's not Linux. I feel that "Gentoo GNU" may confuse
people - it'll confuse people who know only of GNU in connection of
Linux and it'll confuse people who are used to hearing the Hurd called
just "Hurd." Gentoo GNU/Hurd clarifies that it's the Gentoo distribution
with the GNU userland combined with the Hurd.

--
Jon Portnoy
avenj/irc.freenode.net