Re: Authentication failure: (ipc/mig) server died

From: Joachim Nilsson
Subject: Re: Authentication failure: (ipc/mig) server died
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 21:49:06 +0100

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 04:10:41PM -0800, James Morrison wrote:
> --- Robert Millan <zeratul2@wanadoo.es> wrote:
> > I'm getting this error realy often, usualy after playing a bit with
> > a fresh-installed gnu.
> > After login, and being asked for password:
> >   login: Authentication failure: (ipc/mig) server died
> > If i type "exec su" at the login prompt, it will spawn a root shell,
> > though. If i hit this error again, is there something
> > i can try to provide useful information?
>  All I can think of is ps -A | grep auth or showtrans /servers/password

Here's some followup information from my instance of the
same error. What can I do to fix this without reinstalling?

# ps -A | grep auth
root    5  - So    0:00.05      /hurd/auth

# showtrans /servers/password
/hurd/password

Comparing the /hurd/* servers to a freshly unpacked archive (using
gnu-20020816) I can only conclude they are identical, so there must
be something else wrong.

Regards
 /Joachim

--
Joachim Nilsson  :: <joachim AT vmlinux DOT org>
+46-(0)21-123348 :: <http://joachim.vmlinux.org>