Re: GNU/Hurd User's Guide

From: Eric Sandall
Subject: Re: GNU/Hurd User's Guide
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 10:40:22 -0800 (PST)

Derek L Davies said:
> In my mind this is a third type of doc, a "cookbook".  I think a
> cookbook is a step-by-step on how to do something when you just want to
> get it done.  A "reference manual" is like a dictionary where to go to
> look up details of something you already know something about.  A
> "guide" is a book meant to be read cover-to-cover that gives the
> general lay of the land to those who no nothing about a system or
> those who want to review the basics.
>
> Derek

Perhaps, instead of rewriting the wheel (heh), there could be links to the
already existing documents, and the guide can contain
conventions/commands/extras/etc. that are not covered in the other
documents.  This way, only one document has to be kept up-to-date (the one
maintained by those who do the package, like the BASH people, Debian,
etc.) and your only updates need be the GNU/HURD extras.

I get tired of finding manuals which duplicate others, but are out of
date.  Why not just link to the correct manual (Debian's, BASH's, etc.)
instead of rewriting it?  One of the nice things about the web is you can
link to it and not have to redo it.

-Eric

--
PGP Key 0x5C8D199A5A317214
http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x5A317214

Eric Sandall                      |  Source Mage GNU/Linux Developer
eric@sandall.us                   |  http://www.sourcemage.org/
http://www.sandall.us/~sandalle/  |  SysAdmin @ Inst. Shock Physics @ WSU
http://counter.li.org/  #196285   |  http://www.shock.wsu.edu/