Should ppp work?

From: coriordan
Subject: Should ppp work?
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 00:14:03 +0000

Hi all.
  I've tried not to be a newbie about this but
I can't find any docs about setting up ppp.

  Neals installation guide just says to install
um-pppd but I can't find this package on any
debian mirror.  I've read all the docs I could
find as well as searched the mailing lists and
tried google.

  I installed and ran quickppp but his only
created some chat scripts.  I have an external
56K modem that works under GNU/Linux.

  The only thing I can find is a few references
to people connecting at 300b/s and this the
connection isn't reliable at all because it
pushes select() too hard.

  Should ppp work?  do people use ppp under
GNU or what?

Thanks for any info.
Ciaran O'Riordan