Re: GNU Mach x OS Kit-Mach

From: Patrick Strasser
Subject: Re: GNU Mach x OS Kit-Mach
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 02:06:13 +0200

Daniel Bolgheroni wrote:

I saw in the Hurd FAQ that, if all goes well, OS Kit-Mach will probably be the official kernel.

"...If all goes well, OSKit-Mach will be stabilized and become the official kernel...."

Why not GNU Mach?

OSKit-Mach, in short, is
GNUmach
- old drivers (Linux 2.0)
- old unneeded stuff
+ OS-Kit-drivers (Linux 2.2) for the drivers <-- the Good Thing

So OSKit-Mach is nothing completely new, but rather somthing like a branch of GNUmach. But it needs time to mature, as big parts were replaced. That's why we have two Machs.

Patrick

Patrick Strasser <pstrasser at bigfoot dot de>