Re: Hurd FS hierarchy in FHS.

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Hurd FS hierarchy in FHS.
Date: 22 May 2002 21:59:52 +0200

Hi,

Would it be possible to explain section 3 in more detail? I am
referring to this paragraph in the rational:

 Software must never create or require special files or subdirectories in
 the root directory.  Other locations in the FHS hierarchy provide more
 than enough flexibility for any package.

I still can't figure out for the life of me if it is about
third-party software (software that is installed by the system
administrator) or about the actual distribution.  I believe that this
would clarify a lot of the confusion that has been going on
debian-hurd/debian-devel. I.e. if a different operating system (GNU
in this case) can make directories in the root directory (/libexec,
/hurd, /servers).

It could be changed to:

 Third party software must never......

Or something along those lines.