Re: mach kernel boot messages & pfinet configuration

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: mach kernel boot messages & pfinet configuration
Date: 22 Apr 2002 14:10:00 +0200

* Grant Bowman writes:
> /hurd/pfinet: eth0 (os/device) no such device settrans:
> /hurd/pfinet: translator died

Did the (eth0) device get detected and configured by GNUMach?

> I'm also having a problem -getting- the text of the kernel "dmesg"
> so that I can find out more about what the Mach sees of my hardware.
> I'm assuming my next step is to compile a new kernel but I can't see
> if the devices I need are already in the stock kernel since I think
> they scroll by too fast.

We don't have dmesg. Do something along the lines of:
 $ cat /dev/klog > ~/klog
 ^C # Hit ^C after a few sec...
 $ cat ~/klog # Read and enjoy.

Note: This will only work _ONCE_ every boot, /dev/klog gets flushed on read!

All devices that GNUMach provides are compiled in by default in the Debian
package I believe.

> * /boot/servers.boot gives files to run by /boot/serverboot.gz, but
>   I can't find where to pass the -d argument to the serverboot
> program described in /info/hurd.info-1.gz, node: Invoking
> serverboot.  This would give a pause (hopefully somewhere useful)
> until a key is pressed.  I've tried passing it via the kernel line
> of my menu.lst file (both before and after the root= argument) but
> it won't work.

Huh? I don't know what  you are talking about here, if you are talking about
setting up a sub-hurd then maybe we are on the same track.  But I do not
see how that would help you right now.

> * Putting /bin/sleep commands in both /libexec/rc and /libexec/runsystem
>   are too late in the boot process to help much but they do help a
> little.
Yes, as they are the last things that get run at boot.

> * The BIOS detects the card at IRQ 10, isapnp under Linux shows this:

>   # Card 1: (serial identifier 2a 02 8c d9 c8 01 22 8b 11) # Vendor
> Id DLK2201, Serial Number 42785224, checksum 0x2A.  # Version 1.0,
> Vendor version 0.0 # ANSI string -->D-Link DE-220P PnP ISA Card<--

You could check the GNUMach source code and see if this card is supported to
begin with.

--
Alfred M. Szmidt