Re: Improving Hurd

From: Jan Atle Ramsli
Subject: Re: Improving Hurd
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 15:07:08 +0200

Jeroen Dekkers wrote:

> > What I wanted to do, was remove this 1Gb limit, that would be a simple
> > thing to do if I would know which tools were available to me, what I
> > could do in the strategy section, and what I could no in the interrupt
> > section.
>
> The tools available to you? That's simple: emacs, gcc, gdb etc all
> available on the GNU ftp site.
>
> And what are the "strategy and interrupt sections" you are talking
> about?

The very fact that you need to ask this question is what has kept me
from joining so far.
"strategy" is Unix (I think) techspeak for 'task time processing' - the
stuff that other parts of the system interacts with.
I guess you call this the 'server API?' (I haven't read yet)
"interrupt" is what happens between the 'server' and the hardware, at
interrupt time.
(No spinlocks, if there is nothing there, don't wait for it, no
'chewing' of data, etc.)
I guess you just call this the 'kernel' ? But you _Have_ to have some
interrupt processing?

The fact that you ask what ADT is, is encouraging.
I dread the thought that someone implements a module as something else.
Specify _behavior_, not structure.
And be sure you know what coupling and coherence are,
and which must be "strong" and which must be "weak".

The last time I was on about this, I did not get a positive response to
this.

I see improvements, or rather meta-improvements.
Good.

Atle