Re: Improving Hurd

From: Jeroen Dekkers
Subject: Re: Improving Hurd
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 22:43:20 +0200

On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 07:24:59PM +0200, Jan Atle Ramsli wrote:
> Jeff Bailey wrote:
>
> > Perhaps you've noticed that there have been a fair number of new
> > conributors.
> I have noticed a significant improvement, and it may just have coincided
> with the change to L4, but I don't think it's coincidence.

I don't think it has anything to do with it.

> The idea of having an API where yo can mentally picture your message go
> from here to there, and what state the system is in at each of those two
> points, is attractive.
> I think many people have been sitting on the fence like me, chewing on a
> straw, and when it started to look like fun, they jumped off and joined
> in.

I fail to understand what you mean here.

> > Everyone who shows up seems to think they can solve the "big"
> > problems.
> When building a block device driver becomes a matter of sitting on the
> interrupt vector and moving stuff between ports (in the sense of IN,OUT,
> X, Y) and a buffer, kicking the device's rear end in xx_interrupt() or
> similar in one end, and moving stuff from that buffer to and from queues
> in xx_operations in the other, then, a block device is not a 'big'
> problem anymore.

When there is somebody who has time for this it will probably be
done. But nobody has the time for drivers. You think it isn't a big
problem, why didn't you do it?

> It is just a matter of expressing an ADT in terms of API.

Hmm? Are this new business words or something?

> The hairy stuff it supposed to be in one place.
>
> And I see improvements, I must confess that it has been a while since I
> have unpacked it, maybe I should take your response to mean that it is
> time to have another look.

I don't see improvements from YOU. If you don't like something change
it yourself.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org