Re: trouble booting hurd

From: Neal H Walfield
Subject: Re: trouble booting hurd
Date: 16 Apr 2002 17:51:57 -0400

> > > While with serverboot I have no problems.
> > >
> > > What could be the reason?
> >
> > The most likely reason is getting the kernel line
> > wrong.
>
> No actually I have also got the same problem when give
> module command 2 times...its a kernel panic......
>
> but with serverboot.gz its booting well.

I do not think you understood.  The arguments to the kernel when using
serverboot are *different* than those used when loading the Hurd via
multiple modules.  For instance, you might use:

  kernel /boot/gnumach.gz root=hd0s10

with serverboot.  However, this is incompatible with the new method.
You must do something along the lines of:

  kernel /boot/gnumach.gz root=device:hd0s10

Note the *very* important preface of the string `device:' before the
actual device name.