Re: Is malloc garbage collecting?

From: Guy.Bormann
Subject: Re: Is malloc garbage collecting?
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 13:56:26 +0200

Wolfgang Jährling wrote:
[snip]
> > Because glibc implements the POSIX read() function, which reads into the
> > user supplied buffer.
>
> I know, I just didn't understand it under my wrong assumption about
> dealloc.
(Wolfgang, a simple guideline : the server cannot free the
resource for you if you didn't acquire it from the server
(or from a central repository through an agent with which it
cooperates). In the memory buffer case, you could just
as well have passed the address of an automatic or global
variable. You can imagine what would happen if the server
freed that for you ;-) You would get your segfault eventually
:-))

> Cheers,
> GNU/Wolfgang

GNUy Bormann (I'm infected :o)