Re: kernel-panic when (eg.) ftp'ing

From: Nicolas Guilbert
Subject: Re: kernel-panic when (eg.) ftp'ing
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 23:30:37 +0200 (MEST)

Ok, so here are some details that may be useful:

the command history:

login root
fsck.ext2 /dev/hd0s3
settrans -ag /
ftp ftp.debian.org
anonymous

cd debian/dists/sid
get Contents-hurd-i386.gz

and the kernel panic follows immediately:

Kernel page fault at adress 0x0. eip 0x0
Kernel Page fault trap, eip 0x0
kernel trap, type 14, code = 0
Dump of i386_saved_state 002a1af4:
EAX 00000000 EBX 000276c0 ECX 00000024 EDX 000009
ESI 00000009 EDI 002a1b60 EBP 002a1ba4 ESP 0015dd13
CS 0008 SS 0009 DS 0010 ES 0010 FS 001f GS 001f
v86:            DS 1b60 ES 0000 FS 8dfc GS 8dfc
EIP 00000000 EFLAGS 00010217
trapno 14: Page fault error 00000000
panic: trap

the v86 FS and GS values change every time, and once the system just
hanged during the ftp session.

Running lspci from the linux system yields
00:09:0: Ethernet Controller: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21140
[Faster Net] (rev 22)

And it would seem that the driver loaded by the hurd is dec4x5.c at least
it appeared on the boot-up screen (is there an equivalent to dmesg?).
(and that driver works fine under linux).

How should I diagnose it?