Re: kernel-panic when (eg.) ftp'ing

From: Neal H Walfield
Subject: Re: kernel-panic when (eg.) ftp'ing
Date: 03 Apr 2002 15:22:45 -0500

> I'm having some trouble downloading "large" files over the network.  When
> making an ftp get on files larger than say 50K, the kernel panics. It's
> hard to be more specific given the shortness of the message. If it has any
> relevance, copying large files within the filesystem works fine.

Not only have I not experienced about this behavior, you have not
given any real details.

> Also, how do I remount the filesystem rw without having to reboot
> (fsck > has a -w switch, however fsck -w -t ext2 /dev/hd0s3 doesn't
> work)?

`settrans -ga /mount/point' will cause the active translator to exit
(i.e. unmount).  Accessing it again (by opening or stating a file)
will cause it to restart.  If the file system is read only, you can
force it to read/write mode using:

  fsysopts /mount/point --writable