Re: /proc and other Linuxisms

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: /proc and other Linuxisms
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 00:56:05 +0100

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 12:35:45AM +0100, Farid Hajji wrote:
> > > The list archive also shows post regarding a Linux binary emulation
> > > layer? Has
> > > there been any work on it? Any pointers?
> >
> > There are several layers.  For example, we already use the same object
> > format (ELF).  Then, we can provide the same glibc ABI (currently we don't,
> > though) in the future, which allows programs that only use glibc to access
> > the system's functionality to run directly on the Hurd without emulation.
>
> What would be _exactly_ needed to get a dynamically linked linux app
> run under the Hurd? I'm really curious here!

Well, you could start with an objdump and compare the exposed symbols, this
would show.

One thing is libio, we will get that now (*sigh* some hard bugs in the way,
though, difficult to debug.  It works in a chroot, but not at boot time).

Then pthreads would be nice.

Cleaning up the remaining differences.

And then we need to change the .note.ABI-tag section to match the GNU/Linux
one.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de