Re: x* functions

From: Kalle Olavi Niemitalo
Subject: Re: x* functions
Date: 21 Sep 2001 08:23:39 +0300

James Morrison <rocketmail_com@rocketmail.com> writes:

>   Is there any place that will list the x* functions such as
> xmalloc, xrealloc.

And xstrdup and xcalloc.  No, I don't think there's a standard
list.  It depends on what the program needs.

> Are these functions actually in any libraries
> or would a programmer have to create a file for each program that
> has each of these functions?

I don't know of any library that has them and is used by multiple
packages.  The functions are so simple that I wouldn't want to
make a program depend on a library just to get them.  Besides,
different programs may have different requirements on what to do
when out of memory.

Why do you ask this?

>   Which list would a question like this go on?

It sure isn't Hurd-specific.  Much GNU code uses these functions
so a GNU programming list might be a good bet, but
<http://www.gnu.org/prep/mailinglists.html> mentions no such
list.  Perhaps a generic programming newsgroup, then.