Re: ShadowFs

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: ShadowFs
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 07:56:06 +0200

On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 04:39:04PM +0200, Stefan Karrmann wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann schrieb folgendes am Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 03:56:06PM +0200:
> > On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 09:52:59AM +0200, Stefan Karrmann wrote:
> > > By the recent discussion I got the impression that it is a filesystem,
> > > but a single shadow directory would be easier and - in most cases -
> > > sufficient.
>
> I was thinking of merging bin directories:
>
> $ settrans ~/bin shadow-dir /bin ~/bin.real ~my-friend/bin.real

But if you only merge flat directories without subdirectories (as bins
usually are), there is no difference in shadowfs and your strategy.

The difference is that one treats directories special, and the other (yours)
treats directories like files, eg the top one in the root wins on a lookup.

I think it should be quite easy for shadowfs to do what you suggested.  How
about adding this feature as an option to shadowfs as Thomas proposed,
and send Moritz a patch?

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de