Re: Hurd is running

From: Ognyan Kulev
Subject: Re: Hurd is running
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 11:51:10 +0300

On Sat, Apr 21, 2001 at 06:39:28PM -0700, Entranix wrote:
> Hello,
>
>      I just installed HURD and I wonder what I should do next.  I wanted to
> compile the hurd and get to know mach/hurd.  Is there a native GCC or do you
> have to cross compile?

The easiest way is to use apt package to install development environment.

1. $ wget ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/a/apt/apt_\*_hurd-i386.deb
2. # dpkg -i apt_*_hurd-i386.deb
3. Edit /etc/apt/sources.list to contain (use ae editor, i'm not sure if vi
   is installed by default)

   deb ftp://alpha.gnu.org/pub/gnu/hurd/debian unstable main
   deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
   deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free

   Notice that the last line is only needed when you want to get sources
   via apt-get.  And this is the U.S. mirror - you can use your Debian
   mirror instead
4. # apt-get update
5. # apt-get upgrade
6. # apt-get install mig gcc hurd-dev gnumach-dev
   (i'm not sure if this is sufficient)

Regards
--
Ognyan Kulev <ogi@fmi.uni-sofia.bg>, "\"Programmer\""