Re: non-root cross compile?

From: lanir
Subject: Re: non-root cross compile?
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 05:12:05 -0500

On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 01:36:16AM -0500, Neal H Walfield wrote:
> I have no clue what you are trying to accomplish; Please elaborate.

Okay, lemme try to be clearer on this.

I'm building a cross compiler under linux to build Hurd binaries.
I have root access to a 486 (estimated compile time about 1 week)
I have user level access and gigs of space to play with on a dual
processor pentium pro 200mhz system (compile time ~6-8 hrs?).

The instructions for building a cross compiler seem to assume you can
write to /usr/local. I can't. What are the necessary steps to build in an
out of the way place? I keep getting errors because header files aren't
found and my hackish fix to this is to do a find and edit the source to
point to /my/install/dir/include/paths.h rather than just paths.h for
example. This problem is occuring at the second run of compiling glibc.

Is this any clearer? 'Least enough to ask specific questions?

Thanks,
Lanir