Re: GRUB lockup during boot

From: lanir
Subject: Re: GRUB lockup during boot
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 21:17:45 -0500

Listname: help-hurd@gnu.org
help-hurd == help getting the Hurd running
gnu.org == Free Software
Free Software + problem == follow advice below

cat mail | grep your_point | grep -v nonsense | grep -v whining > file
cat file > mail

On Tue, Jan 02, 2001 at 01:16:51AM +0100, Henning Riedel wrote:
> Sometimes I get myself laughing about the article about "Toward a new
> design..",

Please see last grep statement above.

> Somehow it would be nice to have a kind of device-server, where you can add
> devices
> to 'dynamically' (like QNX).

I believe this is the ideal, most Hurd-ish design but has not been implemented
yet.

> Wouldn't it be getting a binary-tarball, which includes just a really minor
> system
> (GNUMach-kernel), only as bare as to compile a Hurd-System on that one.
> I might not need a network for basic kernel-compile.

If I'm understanding correctly, you want a Hurd tarball capable of
compiling mig, mach, and the Hurd servers. Something very close to this
already exists at:
alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/contrib/marcus/gnu-latest.tar.gz
Follow the directions in one of the install guides (links available off
the main hurd page at www.gnu.org/software/hurd) to get it up and running.
>From there, download and install the necessary debian developement
packages off of any debian mirror.

Lanir