Re: X Windows for Hurd

From: James Buchanan
Subject: Re: X Windows for Hurd
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 23:52:37 +1100

On 28 Nov 00, at 23:05, Brent Fulgham wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 02:02:05PM +1100, James Buchanan wrote:
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > I am batting around the idea of a Hurd distribution, like Red Hat
> > and all the rest do their own Linux distributions.
> >
> > Correct me if I'm wrong, there is no X server that is compiled ready
> > for the Hurd? If not, I'm going to try to compile XFree86 on the
> > Hurd and see what happens (when I actually get the Hurd
> > installed...) and try and run a desktop wm, I rather like AfterStep.
> >
> You're wrong. ;-)
Rats! :P I was hoping to do it first... never mind

> Both X 3-series (with patches) and X 4.0.1 work under Hurd now.
> for details.  We've got server, library, and lots of X packages
> already in place.
>
> In fact, if you are looking to build a little Hurd distribution,
> I'd encourage you to take our archive as the basis.
... wow, cool! Thanks for that, I will certainly. And I will contribute
back anything I discover myself, or anything my friends discover as
well. One thing I would like to do is write up a journal of my
installation experiences, and then condense that into a beginner's
manual for installing the Hurd as well as providing a basic installer
program. So people can put in the CD and read the installation
manual if they already have another OS up and running, which I am
hoping by the time I finish it to be useful enough to take some
headaches out of the installation dance that new users will
undoubtedly go through.
Just contribute
> back any modifications you find useful for getting things to build.
> There are no licensing fees or redistribution limitations.
This sounds great! I have wanted to make a Linux distribution for a
long time. No doubt I can do it, but the package manager that
RedHat has is superior, and so is their installation program, so I'll
work on that later. First comes the Hurd, to make using the Hurd a
pleasure and to encourage its use by providing extra programs and
superior documentation in plain English.
I'll check out the site and mailing lists you mention and the Hurd
distribution archives to talk about. If they're on a CD I'll buy one, if
not I'll dowload everything. Thanks for your reply!!
Kindest Regards,
James