Re: trouble starting X

From: Petros Sidiropoulos
Subject: Re: trouble starting X
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 00:01:30 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marcus Brinkmann" <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
To: "Petros Sidiropoulos" <pesid@kav.forthnet.gr>
Cc: <help-hurd@gnu.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2000 11:31 PM

> On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 08:21:49AM +0200, Petros Sidiropoulos wrote:
> > Hello all
> > I followed excactly the instruction to install Xfree86 under the Hurd
but when i try to startx the system
> > crashes, no X, only a blank screen.The following is the output of
startx:(sorry for the size)
> > Any ideas of what could be made wrong???
>
> What are your kbd/mouse translator settings? Please show us the output of
>
> showtrans /dev/kbd
> showtrans /dev/mouse
>
> > Fatal server error:
> > failed to initialize core devices
>
> This usually means that it couldn't open the kbd/mouse devices.

Well, the output of showtrans /dev/*  for mouse and keyboard is as follows:
/hurd/mouse protocol=ps/2
/hurd/kbd  /dev/kbd
seems physical while my mouse is ps/2, and i have a standard
keyboard.However, there is a patch in
UCHIYAMA Yasushi   home page (hurd-xfree86.patch) that I don't use:: how do
I install this patch?
maybe this is the gen of X crash.

And something else,(might be usuful ) in order to install libc0.2(2.1.95) I
use this command
dpkg --install  libdb2..... libdb2-util....  libnss-db...
libc0.2_2.1.95....

Thanks alot, I'm waiting for a response.
Petros Sidiropoulos
pesid@kav.forthnet.gr
~GRECCE~