Re: Nomenclature

From: David Coquil
Subject: Re: Nomenclature
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 19:10:43 +0000

On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 05:51:26PM +0100, Jean-Philippe BOISSEAU wrote:

> Patrick Strasser a écrit :
>
> In french, I say "Le Hurd", as if Hurd was male.

I thought about replying the same, but I think that apart from
"cross-language compatibility" ;-) French language is not really relevant
here : in French substantives have male or female gender whereas in German
they can be male, female or neutral (e.g.) one more to choose from!

As for French I think 'le Hurd' makes sense since in English it's mostly
"the Hurd", and 'la Hurd' (female) just sounds too bad.

Now I'll leave it up to linguistics gurus to decide for German :-)

        David