Recurring Problem with root filesystem - translator bug?

From: oberg
Subject: Recurring Problem with root filesystem - translator bug?
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 16:17:18 -0700 (MST)

Ive reformatted and reinstalled multiple times (like 10) and keep seeing the
same odd behavior in the root filesystem.  Each time I reformat and reinstall,
random files in the filesystem (and it does appear to be random) appear as
raw device files with major/minor=0/0 as the following examples:

crwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       0,   0 Jul 31 07:25 fileutils.postinst
crwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       0,   0 Aug  6 17:04 findutils.postinst
crwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       0,   0 Jul 27 06:48 gettext-base.postinst
crwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       0,   0 Apr 12  2000 grep.postinst
crwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       0,   0 Jul 27 07:55 grub.postinst
crwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       0,   0 Dec  3  1999 gzip.postinst
crwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       0,   0 Dec 20  1999 hostname.postinst

Its not specific to any directory, as these messed up files are alongside
correct ones.  I havent seen a directory appear like this, but it might
have happened.

When I mount /dev/hdb1 under linux, the files are ok, so Im assuming its a
translator bug/error.  I ran 'badblocks' twice and my drive seems to be
rock solid (never found a bad block - this is a fairly unused disk).

The partition is 750Mb, and I correctly used the -O sparse_super and
-o hurd options on format.

On every install, the corrupted files have prevented a successful configuration,
and I have yet to get a working Hurd setup.

Has anyone ever seen this before?  Ive scoured the archived list and didn't
see anything relevant.  If you have any ideas at all, please let me know.

- Michael Oberg
  oberg@softhome.net