Re: Nomenclature

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Nomenclature
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 19:51:35 +0100

On Sun, Nov 12, 2000 at 06:51:14PM +0100, Patrick Strasser wrote:
> I read German documentation as praparation for own tries on
> documentation. I noticed the geramn transcription of "the Hurd" and
> wondered if it is male/female/neutral singular/plural as german
> distinguishes articles by those.
> I guess it's like "the herd", "the cluster" or "the swarm".
>
> I know it's not most essential, but if someone is competent to tell me,
> I would propagate the Right Notation.

I always say only "Hurd" or "GNU Hurd" in German, without article. An
article sounds a bit silly here. Occasionally, I say "das Hurd System".

I don't have a real linguistic argument for this decision, but I could
probably cook something up with the help of my girl friend, who studies
linguistics ;)

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de