Re: Porting the Hurd to L4 (glibc dependencies, dropping glibc?)

From: Farid Hajji
Subject: Re: Porting the Hurd to L4 (glibc dependencies, dropping glibc?)
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 23:32:43 +0100

> > Is it _absolutely_ necessary to use glibc with the Hurd?
> Why on earth would one want not to?  The Hurd developers have no interest
> whatsoever in using anything but the GNU C library for the GNU system.
The Hurd is IMHO more than just a simple kernel replacement of a glibc-
based system. Due to its flexibility, other applications like host-os
subhurds are possible too. Just because it's 'oolitically correct' to
stick to glibc doesn't mean that we _must_! Other GNU programs are not
dependent on glibc either (thank goodness!).

Another reason I'm having problems with glibc is very simple: I can't
figure out how to compile that beast on *BSD systems yet (or BTW any
non-Linux system) even at all or without _much_ contortions :-( But
this is just one reason. The main interest here is to
1. isolate the ukernel interface of the Hurd from the more generic
   C library so that it can be ported _separately_ and more easily
   to other ukernels or host-os(s).
2. obtain the hosted sub-hurd at a very low cost (in terms of efforts).

-Farid.

--
Farid Hajji -- Unix Systems and Network Admin | Phone: +49-2131-67-555
Broicherdorfstr. 83, D-41564 Kaarst, Germany  | farid.hajji@ob.kamp.net