Re: Porting FreeBSD's/OpenBSD's User-level ppp(8) to the Hurd

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Porting FreeBSD's/OpenBSD's User-level ppp(8) to the Hurd
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 00:16:25 +0200

On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 11:22:15PM +0200, Farid Hajji wrote:
> > > a.) How to I settrans the term translator to a /dev/ttyS* on one side
> > >     and have it use gnumach's com driver on the other side?
> >
> > >From MAKEDEV:
> >
> >       console|tty[0-9][0-9a-f]|tty[0-9a-f]|com[0-9])
> >         st $I root 600 /hurd/term ${DEVDIR}/$I device $I;;
> >
> > So, "settrans /dev/com1 /hurd/term /dev/com1 device com1"
> >
> > would connect /dev/com1 with com1 in GNU Mach.
> > The Hurd doesn't use the ttyS? notation as linux (although we could).
> Thanks Marcus. I figured this out and was able to use serial devices and
> term as expected. I didn't pursue porting *BSD's ppp(8) to the Hurd now,
> since I'm not sure how to access pfinet in a canonical manner. At least,
> it would be a very bad hack and I suspect that Roland or Michael may have
> other ideas about a more elegant design.

That's a pity, if this is the only reason. Nobody really objects to a
horrible hack, really, as long as it works. We can tell a bad hack by
looking at it, and remove it when a better solution is being worked on.

Also, the debian packages are a test field for such experiments and hacks.
It doesn't need to enter CVS.

Many people need PPP (for example, me :). I would certainly help as much as
I can, but the areas where I work efficiently are elsewhere.

Thanks,
Marcus