Re: guix home: no target of type 'home-profile' for service 'home-bash'

From: Daniel Meißner
Subject: Re: guix home: no target of type 'home-profile' for service 'home-bash'
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 09:15:48 +0200

Hi there,

Oleg Pykhalov writes:
> Dustin Lyons <me@dustinlyons.co> writes:
>
>> I had a working guix home configuration, happily importing all of my
>> dotfiles into the guix store, but a most recent guix pull broke
>> it. […]
>
> home-bash-configuration and other service configurations accept only
> file-like objects (no strings), so to make it work you could use:
> (plain-file "bashrc" "# configuration string # another configuration
> string")

I've had a similar problem.  I expected bashrc to also accept a list of
strings which will be added to bashrc since in the manual [1] it says:

> ‘bashrc’ (default: ‘()’) (type: text-config)
>     List of strings or gexps, which will be added to ‘.bashrc’.
>     Used for executing user’s commands at start of interactive
>     shell (The shell for interactive usage started by typing
>     ‘bash’ or by terminal app or any other program).

Was this behaviour somehow changed to only accept file-like objects?  I
quite liked the string options because for simple aliases there is no
need for a file-like object. WDYT?

Best
Daniel

1: See info "(guix) Shells Home Services" under "Bash home service"