Plugins for Kicad and other programs

From: phodina
Subject: Plugins for Kicad and other programs
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2021 11:31:40 +0000

Hi Guix,

Lots of programs now allow users to extend their features through plugins.
On non Guix distros where the user does not have the root priviledges they place
the the content of their plugin in the configuration directory in home
directory.

Here's example for Kicad:
~/.kicad_plugins/
~/.kicad/scripting/
~/.kicad/scripting/plugins/

To further complicate things they can have their own plugin manager (e.g.
Freecad).

In some cases they contain just some raw data or configs. However, large amount
has
some code embedded like shell scripts, python which needs special handling on
Guix.

Therefore my question is how to integrate them?

What I propose is with the merge of home services [2], there is now possibility
to:

- create package defintion of the plugin
- create home service that will link the plugin into the correct location
within the home dir

There is also an alternative.
I searched the Kicad forum for plugin installation and installation into system
dirs
(under /usr) is not recommended [2]. The plugin could be linked into the plugin
location under the /gnu/store/xxx-package. This could be done by inheriting
kicad
package and adding the plugins to the input. That approach wouldn't be very
flexible,
as it would create to many package combinations.

Also I never installed plugins into system directories on distibutions used
before
Guix system so I don't know if it would work.

[1] commit 6ae4644984608b7eff7ab54d3a5787c661d85b2e
[2] https://forum.kicad.info/t/plugin-location-ubuntu-refresh-solved/24396