Re: Issue about building python on a foreign distro

From: Wade Zhang
Subject: Re: Issue about building python on a foreign distro
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 03:30:34 +0800

On Tue, Aug 24, 2021 at 12:41 AM zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Welcome! :-)

Thank you for your reply!

> > It seems all dependencies installed by Guix are not found.
>
> Well, do you do
>
>   source ~/.guix-profile/etc/profile
>
> after installing all the dependencies (gcc-toolchain, bzip2, etc.)

I'm sure I did.  Is there anything I missed?

```
doc@VM-8-2-debian:~$ env | grep ^PATH
PATH=/home/doc/.yarn/bin:/home/doc/.cargo/bin:/home/doc/bin:/home/doc/.anyenv/envs/pyenv/shims:/home/doc/.anyenv/envs/pyenv/bin:/home/doc/.anyenv/bin:/home/doc/.guix-profile/bin:/home/doc/.guix-profile/sbin:/home/doc/.config/guix/current/bin:/home/doc/.guix-profile/bin:/home/doc/.guix-profile/sbin:/home/doc/.config/guix/current/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games
doc@VM-8-2-debian:~$ env | grep GUIX_PROFILE
GUIX_PROFILE=/home/doc/.guix-profile
_GUIX_PROFILE=/home/doc/.config/guix/current
doc@VM-8-2-debian:~$ command -v gcc
/home/doc/.guix-profile/bin/gcc
```

> > Could you please tell me the reason of these errors and how to fix them?
>
> I do not use 'pyenv' and I had bad experience when mixing "package
> manager".  To have other Python versions than the default ones, I
> would create variant by using package transformation

pyenv allows you to set python version for your every project by putting a
`.python-version` file, and you can easily override the version with an
environment variable.  All you need to do is just setting your `PATH`.  I think
it's very useful when you're working with multiple projects.