Re: Issue about building python on a foreign distro

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Issue about building python on a foreign distro
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 18:41:04 +0200

Hi,

Welcome! :-)

On Sun, 22 Aug 2021 at 23:39, Wade Zhang <dochang@gmail.com> wrote:

> Recently I installed Guix on a Debian buster host.  I want to install all
> build
> dependencies by Guix.  Since I use pyenv to manage Python versions, I have to
> install Python outside Guix.  Now I get stuck during the Python installation.

[...]

> It seems all dependencies installed by Guix are not found.

Well, do you do

  source ~/.guix-profile/etc/profile

after installing all the dependencies (gcc-toolchain, bzip2, etc.)

> Could you please tell me the reason of these errors and how to fix them?

I do not use 'pyenv' and I had bad experience when mixing "package
manager".  To have other Python versions than the default ones, I
would create variant by using package transformation

  guix build python
--with-source=python=https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.8.11/Python-3.8.11.tar.xz

but there is no guarantee it works for all the versions. Well, I would
start by a package transformation at the command-line and if it fails
then compile --without-tests or create a package variant and use
--load-path.

Hope that helps,
simon