Re: guix pack and exposing ports

From: Edouard Klein
Subject: Re: guix pack and exposing ports
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 11:40:10 +0200

Hi !

>From what I know, with guix pack you can only have the dependencies in
the docker image, but you won't have anything to start or manage your
software automatically. You need to invoke the correct command (with
docker run, I believe).

What you can do is create an operating-system declaration and use the
guix system docker-image subcommand. Note that this is way more
involved, as you need to create a shepherd service for your software.
I quickly ran into docker limitations following this route, but
depending on what you want to do this may be the way to go.

The alternative is to use the guix pack image as the base image in a
standard dockerfile.

As for the size of the image, see this thread
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2021-07/msg00064.html

Good luck