Re: Installing GSL on Windows to use with Visual Studio Code

From: Mark Galassi
Subject: Re: Installing GSL on Windows to use with Visual Studio Code
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 09:43:19 -0700

Dear Vicent,

I'm delighted that you are trying to use GSL, and thank you for working with
the inconvenience of installing on Windows.

At first I thought that if you did not have a UNIX-like "shell" (either cygwin
or MinGW or WSL) to run ./configure then you must be using visual studio, but
then you mentioned:

> (installing Visual Studio to not really use it seems a lot
> to me!).

So I was puzzled, thinking "what compiler do you have?".  I looked more closely
at your original email and saw that you mention that you are using MinGW.

Note that MinGW is the "minimalist GNU for Windows" and it comes with a shell
that should be able to run ./configure scripts, so I think you might already
have what you need.

I don't use it myself since I don't use Windows, but you could start with the
docs at:

https://sourceforge.net/p/mingw-w64/wiki2/Home/

I have this vague memory that MSYS is the part that gives you the shell
environment.

I hope this helps.