Re: Checking GSL for Spectroscopy

From: Jeremy Theler
Subject: Re: Checking GSL for Spectroscopy
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 17:52:41 -0300

On Tue, 2021-03-16 at 14:34 -0400, Fritz Sonnichsen wrote:
> Thanks Jeremy-
>    I looked into this (the GNU doc on this is LONG!) but it is my
> understanding that the GNU GPL can be used for commercial purposes.

Yes, as long as any piece of software using GSL is distributed also
under the terms of the GPL.
Please note that even though you can sell copies of a GPL-covered
program, you cannot prevent people that already bought one copy to
distribute it, with or without a fee.

> It is not as clear if the resulting code must be made publically
> available but this would not be a problem since our work is closely
> associated with academics. Does this sound right to you?

I am not sure I understood. If you want to make your software publicly
available then it has to be under the terms of the GPL, which means
that any user can request a copy of its source code. Not sure what
academics has to do in your particular case. Maybe if you give more
details about your ideas on how you want to distribute the software
that will be linked to the GSL other members of the list can also help
you figure everything out.

Regards
--
jeremy theler