Re: Checking GSL for Spectroscopy

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: Re: Checking GSL for Spectroscopy
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 13:56:30 +0000

Hi Fritz,

GSL is a low-level/fundamental/core numeric analysis library providing the low-level tools for numeric operations that are common in many different science applications.

So for example in GNU Astronomy Utilities (that I am maintaining), we heavily rely on many of GSL's low-level tools and use them extensively for astronomical data analysis. It is the same for many other scientific software (they use GSL for low-level computationally hard operations).

So if you want to write a high-level spectral analysis library/program many of the computational tools you'll need are in GSL (for example for fitting emission lines or the continuum, or convolving/smoothing data and many more things), but you have to write the wrapper functions to use them in the special context you need in your spectral analysis.

About AI, I think its out of GSL's scope (similar to the logic above: GSL is a low-level/fundamental library)! I am not a GSL maintainer, but this is just what I feel given the current set of tools it provides.

Cheers,
Mohammad