Re: eigensystem

From: Alan Mead
Subject: Re: eigensystem
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 15:57:17 -0600

Your matrix is singular (the first two columns are perfectly correlated,
so your matrix does not have full rank).

The standard test of singularity is that the determinant cannot be
computed (you try to calculate it, and you get zero or a numerical
error). This post describes the problem and a shortcut:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/13145948/how-to-find-out-if-a-matrix-is-singular

-Alan

--

Alan D. Mead, Ph.D.
President, Talent Algorithms Inc.

science + technology = better workers

http://www.alanmead.org

The irony of this ... is that the Internet is
both almost-infinitely expandable, while at the
same time constrained within its own pre-defined
box. And if that makes no sense to you, just
reflect on the existence of Facebook. We have
the vastness of the internet and yet billions
of people decided to spend most of them time
within a horribly designed, fake-news emporium
of a website that sucks every possible piece of
personal information out of you so it can sell it
to others. And they see nothing wrong with that.

-- Kieren McCarthy, commenting on why we are not
                    all using IPv6