Re: Benchmarking GSL

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Benchmarking GSL
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 17:18:30 +0100

Hi Patrick,

Patrick Alken <patrick.alken@Colorado.EDU> skribis:

>   Is there a particular part of the GSL library you want to benchmark?
> Some routines have been optimized to run as fast as possible while
> others have not. The overall focus of GSL algorithms is on robustness
> and reliability, not necessarily speed. So you will probably find quite
> different results depending which algorithms you are benchmarking.

I’m interested in benchmarking routines that benefit from vectorization
(AVX2, AVX512, etc.).

Based on GCC’s ‘-fopt-info-vec’, this could be any of the following
components:

bspline
bst
cdf
cheb
combination
complex
dht
diff
eigen
fft
filter
fit
histogram
integration
interpolation
linalg
matrix
min
monte
movstat
multifit
multifit_nlinear
multifit
multilarge_nlinear
multilarge
multimin
multiroots
multiset
ode-initval2
ode-initval
permutation
poly
qrng
randist
rng
roots
rstat
sort
spblas
specfunc
splinalg
spmatrix
statistics
vector
wavelet

This is quite a long list, but really benchmarks for a couple of these
would already be helpful to me.

For background, I’m currently looking into automatic “function
multi-versioning” where code is generated for several ISA extensions and
the right one is selected at load time¹.

Thanks in advance!

Ludo’.

PS: Please keep me Cc’d as I’m not subscribed.

¹ https://gitlab.inria.fr/guix-hpc/function-multi-versioning