Re: [Help-gsl] latest version of GSL available for Red Hat

From: Alan Mead
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] latest version of GSL available for Red Hat
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 11:12:29 -0500

You might have better luck asking on a RHEL or CentOS list. In the repos
I have enabled, I only see 1.15 is available

$ yum search gsl
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
 * base: bay.uchicago.edu
 * extras: bay.uchicago.edu
 * updates: bay.uchicago.edu
N/S matched: gsl
gsl-devel.i686 : Libraries and the header files for GSL development
gsl-devel.x86_64 : Libraries and the header files for GSL development
gsl.i686 : The GNU Scientific Library for numerical analysis
gsl.x86_64 : The GNU Scientific Library for numerical analysis

  Name and summary matches only, use "search all" for everything.
$ yum info gsl
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
 * base: bay.uchicago.edu
 * extras: bay.uchicago.edu
 * updates: bay.uchicago.edu
Available Packages
Name        : gsl
Arch        : i686
Version     : 1.15
Release     : 13.el7
Size        : 903 k
Repo        : base/7/x86_64
Summary     : The GNU Scientific Library for numerical analysis
URL         : http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/
License     : GPLv3 and GFDL and BSD
Description : The GNU Scientific Library (GSL) is a collection of
routines for
            : numerical analysis, written in C.

But Fedora has 2.6:

http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=gsl

You could try that on RHEL, but I suspect it will tell you that there
are unmet dependencies. Try using the earliest Fedora gsl rpm available.

I love the stability of RHEL, but if you want the latest versions of any
software, RHEL is a poor choice. Fedora would be a much better choice.

-Alan

--

Alan D. Mead, Ph.D.
President, Talent Algorithms Inc.

science + technology = better workers

http://www.alanmead.org

"You're an interesting species. An interesting mix.
You're capable of such beautiful dreams, and such
horrible nightmares. You feel so lost, so cut off,
so alone, only you're not. See, in all our
searching, the only thing we've found that makes
the emptiness bearable, is each other."

-- Carl Sagan, Contact