[Help-gsl] GSL 1.16 gsl_interp_accel_find not threadsafe?

From: Leek, Jim
Subject: [Help-gsl] GSL 1.16 gsl_interp_accel_find not threadsafe?
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 18:34:21 +0000

I am using GSL in an openMP program.  It usually goes pretty well, but I
recently ran a problem where I started getting random results (the
deterministic problem returned wildly different results on each run.)

I was finally able to get Intel Inspector to give me a clue.  It says there is
a data race in gsl_intep_accel_find at:

Line 210,211:
  a->miss_count++;
  a->cache - gsl_interp_bsearch(ca, x, x_intex, len-1)

The call stack is:
gsl_spline_eval_integ:190
gsl_intep_eval_integ:273
cspline_eval_integ:403
gsl_interp_accel_find:211

Avoiding calling this in the threading region does seem to solve the issue.

1) Is this a known issue?
2) Is there a known way to get around it?
3) Is it already fixed in a newer version of GSL?

Thanks,
Jim