Re: [Help-gsl] Linear least squares, webpages and the next release

From: David Zaslavsky
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Linear least squares, webpages and the next release
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 16:24:05 +0800

Figured I'd throw in my few cents:

On 10/23/15 3:17 AM, Patrick Alken wrote:
1. Is anyone out there using GSL besides me? :-)
but of course ;-)
2. What functionality would you like to see added to GSL?
Quasi Monte Carlo integration would be nice to get into the main development branch. I'm biased since I've already implemented this in an extension.

I also like the idea of expanding the multidimensional interpolation beyond the 2D code that I already contributed. There are two directions to go with this: additional interpolation algorithms (which I have a couple implementations for, contributed by Thomas Beutlich, but not tests) and higher-dimensional interpolation. The latter is probably ripe for someone else to work on.
3. Are you willing to develop and contribute the features you want?
Willing, yes, but able... not so much, at least not at the moment. I can contribute small fixes and enhancements, but my job doesn't allow me time for large feature development right now.
4. Would you like to see a quick release of GSL v2.0, or are you content to work off the git repository?
I work on shared clusters where packages will only be installed from a proper release. Sure, I could clone the git repository into my own personal copy and use that, but it'd be a lot easier to have reasonably up-to-date features available in the system version of GSL. That requires an official numbered release. Plus, if anyone else tries to use my code, they may not be familiar with git and may expect it to just work. Again, it becomes easier to have a recent numbered release already installed.

So I think it's time to release a new version. As some other people mentioned, periodic releases are useful to maintain the appearance that a project is healthy.
Thanks,
Patrick
and thank you!

:) David